The latest Redmi Note 5 series comes with upgraded hardware and latest software, along with the bezel-less full-screen display. Well, if you’re not much satisfied with the stock MIUI firmware, you can simply choose to customize your device further. The guide below will help you root Redmi Note 5 Pro and install TWRP recovery on the device.
Guide to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro and Install TWRP Recovery
- Take a complete backup of your personal data before carrying out the process. This includes apps, contacts, messages, internal storage, and everything else that is important.
- Charge the Redmi device to a sufficient battery level to avoid any disturbance during the process.
- Download Android SDK tools package and extract its content to a new folder. We will be using ‘C:adb’ for demonstration.
- Unlock bootloader on your Redmi device using the official unlock method. Without unlock the bootloader first, you will not be able to flash TWRP recovery.
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Download the TWRP recovery image.
- Power off Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ‘twrp-3.2.1-0-whyred.img’ file to C:adb, where the ADB/fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard, and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Execute the following command in the PowerShell window to confirm that the device is being detected properly:
- fastboot devices
- The command should return a device ID along with the ‘oot’ message.
- Use the following command to install TWRP recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro:
Once flashed, hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the phone powers off and reboots into TWRP recovery. Do not boot the Redmi device into the OS, or TWRP recovery will be overwritten with the stock recovery. Finally, follow the steps in the next section to root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
How to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro?
- Download latest Magisk ZIP on the PC.
- In TWRP, go to the ‘Mount’ menu.
- Tap on the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Connect the Redmi Note 5 Pro to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the ‘Magisk-v16.3.zip’ file to the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.fastb
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the Magisk ZIP file.
- Swipe the button on the screen to start the flashing process and root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Finally, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
The process was fairly simple, right? So this was our guide on how to install TWRP recovery and root Redmi Note 5 Pro.