Google finally releases a stable update to its Chrome OS. Now the version bumps up to 72.0.3626.97 (Platform version: 11316.123.0, 11316.123.1) for most Chrome OS devices. The update comes with a number of bug fixes and security updates.
In addition, the update also brings several new features such as optimization for touchscreen devices in tablet mode, availability of Picture in Picture (PiP) for Chrome sites, changes to the menu for the Cast function and Settings, etc.
Below is the full changelog of the update:
- Addition of a page about touch gestures in the built-in ChromeVox screen reader tutorial
- Chrome browser has been optimized for touchscreen devices in tablet mode
- External storage access for Android apps using direct /storage and MediaStore APIs
- App shortcuts for Android apps are now searchable in the launcher. Users can find an app shortcut by long pressing or right-clicking on an Android app.
- Policies added to manage print job attributes for native printing including simple/duplex printing and color/B&W printing
- Picture in Picture (PiP) now available for Chrome sites
- Within the ChromeVox screen reader, added a setting in the ChromeVox options page to read anything under the mouse cursor
- Files saved via Backup and Sync on Drive now available in Files app under My Drive/Computers
- Shill, the network manager for Google Chrome OS, has been put in a sandbox and no longer runs as the root user on the system.