As it was promised in January this year, the Android Oreo update for Nokia 2 is finally available. It’s important to note that instead of releasing the Android 8.0 HMD Global has decided to go for the Android 8.1.
It’s a bit late for the Nokia 2 which came back in in 2017 running the dated Android 7.1.1 Nougat out-of-the-box. When the company announced the update going to be available on Nokia 2 it also mentioned the reason for the delay.
Juho Sarvikas, CPO at HMD Global said, “Tons of questions on Nokia 2, here we go: We introduced Nokia 2 on Android Nougat. Soon after, Google moved devices with 1GB RAM to Android Go for a more optimized experience. It is not possible to move a device that launched with Android to Go. Despite this technical challenge.”
So HMD Global had to work with Qualcomm and Google for the chip as well as software level support in order to release the update. It is also clearly mentioned that the Oreo will not work as fluid as the Nougat, but if users want new features then they can update.
The Android Oreo will take more system space than Nougat and the Nokia 2 comes only with 1GB RAM.
How to download the Android Oreo on Nokia 2?
- Go to Nokia 2 Android update page.
- Sign in with your Nokia account.
- Validate your device with your IMEI code.
- Enter your network operator name.
- Add your location.
- Agree to the “Android Oreo for Nokia 2 software license terms”.
- Once completed, simply select the Request OTA button
- You will get the Android 8.1 (Oreo) OTA update notification