Every year, two major updates are released to the Windows 10 operating system. Today, Microsoft started rolling out the first update of 2019, the so-called Windows 10 May 2019 Update with version 1903. In this initial phase, the update is available only to those who expressly accept the request to install Windows Update.
As Microsoft has already illustrated many times earlier, the system shows that an update is available, and asks the user if he/she wants to install it. The company always performs a series of tests to find and fix the problems of each version, through the Windows Insider program.
“Based on positive data and the feedback we’ve seen from this longer preview phase; I’m pleased today to share that we are beginning to make the Windows 10 May Update available. We will be taking a measured and throttled approach, allowing us to study device health data as we increase availability via Windows Update,” said John Cable, Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery.
At the moment, it is not offering the download to all those who seek the update through the settings menu, slowly delivering the update, while monitoring the reaction of users. However, when available you can download and install it by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
As of June, Microsoft must make available to all devices that are using the April 2018 Update and earlier versions of Windows 10. The May 2019 Update gives users new features and more control over updates. Below are some features in the Windows 10 May 2019 Update:
- Windows Sandbox: an isolated area of the operating system where you can run unsafe software without fear of consequences for your computer.
- Clear theme: it can be applied from the Settings and concerns areas such as the taskbar, the Start menu and the notification center
- Separation of research and Cortana. Each service has a dedicated button in the taskbar, which can be removed independently of the other. The two services, however, are still very intertwined with each other, and the user experience is rather confusing.
- File Explorer: the Download folder is now sorted by date, with macro-groups like “yesterday”, “last week”, “last month”. The colors of the icon also change slightly, for greater compatibility with the clear theme.
- Multiple pre-installed UWP apps can be removed, such as Paint 3D, Groove, 3D Viewer, Movies and TV, Sticky Notes and Voice Recorder.
- When the microphone is in use by the system, a notification appears in the System Tray.
- The Game Bar is now organized as a widget, integrates with Spotify and offers many more features.