After several improvements, Samsung has finally relaunched the Galaxy Fold, its first folding smartphone. Initially available in Korea, the Samsung Galaxy Fold will reach other markets including France, Germany, Singapore, U.K., U.S., and more. The handset comes with a 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Super AMOLED screen when opened.
According to the South Korean company, this is its first folding smartphone, which now reaches the consumer with “improved construction and design”.
“The category-defining Galaxy Fold is a device that defies the barriers of traditional smartphone design. Now, we’re excited to release this pioneering mobile technology, and allow consumers to experience it for themselves. Consumers have responded positively to larger screens, and the Galaxy Fold’s revolutionary form factor offers a bigger, more immersive screen without sacrificing portability. This is what we call innovation of new mobile experience in action.”
DJ Koh, President, and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics
On the hardware side, the South Korean company has not made any major changes either. So we have the Snapdragon 855 processor, 12GB of RAM and 512 GB of internal storage. One of the biggest news of the new device is that now it supports 5G connection.
This time Samsung has dropped the battery capacity to 4,235 mAh which was 4,380 mAh in the review devices released a few months back. When it comes to cameras, the company made no major modifications and maintained the six sensors.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Technical Specifications
- Internal Display: 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED Display (4.2:3) Infinity Flex Display
- Cover Display: 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED (21: 9)
- SoC: Snapdragon 855 Chipset
- Processor: Octa-core 64-bit 7nm processor
- RAM and Internal Storage: 12GB RAM (LPDDR4x) and 512 GB of storage (UFS 3.0)
- External camera: 10MP (2PD), F2.2
- Triple rear camera:
- Ultra-Wide: 16 MP, F2.2
- Wide – Angle: 12 MP (2PD), F1.5 / F2.4, Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS)
- Optical Zoom: 12 MP, F2.4, OIS PDAF
- Dual front camera:
- Selfie: 10 MP (2PD) F2.2
- RGB depth: 8 MP, F1.9
- Battery: 4,235 mAh battery (wired and wireless compatible fast charging)
- OS: Android 9 Pie
As mentioned earlier, the Galaxy Fold will be available in Korea starting tomorrow (September 6), followed by select countries including. The 5G variant will be available in select countries where 5G connectivity is available.