If you encounter the error code 0xc000000f on your Windows 10 computer, there’s no need to worry as you’re not alone. This error is quite common, and there are several solutions available to resolve it.
In this guide, I will walk you through the necessary steps to fix error code 0xc000000f. Additionally, I will provide some tips to help you prevent this error from occurring in the future.
Error code 0xc000000f is a boot error that arises when Windows fails to locate the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) file. The BCD file is an essential component of Windows that instructs your computer on how to initiate the boot process. Whenever the BCD file is corrupted or missing, the error code 0xc000000f is displayed.
Fix Error Code 0xc000000f
Here are a few methods you can try to fix error code 0xc000000f:
- Utilize Startup Repair: Startup Repair is a built-in tool in Windows designed to address various boot-related issues. To perform Startup Repair, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer three times.
- On the third restart, you’ll encounter the Advanced Startup Options screen.
- Click on “Troubleshoot.”
- Select “Advanced options.”
- Choose “Startup Repair.”
- Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE): The Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) is a specialized environment that can be accessed when your computer fails to boot normally. Within Windows RE, you can employ the Bootrec.exe tool to rebuild the BCD file. Follow these steps:
- Restart your computer and repeatedly press the F8 key.
- On the Advanced Startup Options screen, select “Repair your computer.”
- Choose “Advanced Options.”
- Select “Command Prompt.”
- In the Command Prompt, enter the following commands:
bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixbcd bootrec /rebuildbcd
- Rebuild the BCD manually: If the previous methods don’t resolve the issue, you can attempt to manually rebuild the BCD. This involves creating a new BCD file. Detailed instructions on how to accomplish this can be found on the Microsoft website.
- Reset your PC: If all else fails, you can consider resetting your PC. It’s crucial to note that this action will erase all your data, so ensure that you back up your files beforehand. To reset your PC, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Under “Reset this PC,” click on “Get started.”
- Choose whether you want to keep your files or erase everything.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the reset.
I hope this guide has assisted you in resolving error code 0xc000000f. Should you have any further inquiries, please feel free to leave a comment below.